by Mitch Kokai
Senior Political Analyst, John Locke Foundation
Emily Larsen of the Washington Examiner reports that U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death hasn’t changed Joe Biden’s mind about releasing a list of potential replacements.
Joe Biden said that he would not release a list of potential Supreme Court nominees like President Trump has, arguing the rejection of nomination norms could politicize the court and subject those on the list to unnecessary attacks.
“We can’t ignore the cherished system of checks and balances. That includes this whole business of releasing a list of potential nominees that I would put forward,” the former vice president and Democratic presidential nominee said in a speech from Philadelphia addressing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death and Trump’s push to nominate a replacement Supreme Court justice before the election.
During his 2016 presidential campaign, during which time there was a vacant Supreme Court seat due to Justice Antonin Scalia dying that February, Trump released a list of individuals whom he would pick from for Supreme Court nominations, the first time a candidate or president singled out individuals in that way. He added to the list earlier this month.
“It’s no wonder they ask that I release the list only after she passed away. It is a game for them. It is a play to gin up emotions and anger. There’s a reason why no other candidate than President Trump has ever done such a thing,” Biden said.
Contrary to Biden’s claim, Trump’s campaign did criticize him for not releasing a list of potential Supreme Court justices before Ginsburg’s death on Friday. …
… Biden has pledged to nominate a black woman to the Court.
In June, Biden appeared to indicate that he may release a list of potential picks.
“We are putting together a list of a group of African American women who are qualified and have the experience to be on the court,” Biden told reporters.