by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• The New York Times looks at the role single women are playing and will play in Democrats’ plans to hold Sen. Kay Hagan’s seat and their attempts to maintain partisan control of the Senate.
• Rep. Mark Meadows, R-11th, kicked off his re-election campaign in Fletcher with a couple of noteworthy supporters: South Carolina Reps. Trey Gowdy and Joe Wilson.
• Politix.com examines the transformation of Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-10th, from backbench firebrand to national party leader.
• Former Guilford County Commissioner Billy Yow, who challenged (and lost) in 2012 to Rep. Howard Coble in the 6th Congressional District primary, endorsed Phil Berger Jr. over Mark Walker in the July 15 GOP runoff for a chance to succeed the retiring Coble.
• Remember: If there’s a runoff election in your jurisdiction, early voting opens today.
• Have a safe, meaningful, and happy July 4 celebration. We’ll be back with a new dispatch Monday.