The John Locke Foundation was created in 1990 as an independent, nonprofit think tank that would work “for truth, for freedom, and for the future of North Carolina.” The John Locke Foundation is a 501(c)(3) research institute and is funded solely from voluntary contributions from individuals, corporations, and charitable foundations. All donations solicited on behalf of The Foundation shall be used to further our mission.
The Foundation is committed to respecting the privacy of our donors. We have developed this policy to assure them that donor contact information will not be shared with any third party. The Foundation maintains the highest level of integrity and respect for the privacy of our donors. We seek to ensure that donors have trust and confidence in our practices.
This policy applies to all information received by the Foundation, both online and offline, on any platform, as well as electronic, written or oral communications.
The John Locke Foundation collects and maintains the following type of donor information:
- Contact Information: name, address, telephone number, email address
- Giving History: gift amount, date, any gift restrictions requested by the donor
- Information on events attended, publications received, any special requests for program information, and other data points that may allow us to better server your interests
All information is confidential and kept on file for IRS purposes. Information is also used to analyze giving patterns in order to make accurate budget projections. Credit card numbers are used only for donation or payment processing and are not retained for other purposes.
The John Locke Foundation will use confidential donor information for the following purposes:
• Distributing donation receipts
• Sending thank you letters to donors
• Informing donors of Foundation and project news and events
• Internal analysis and record keeping
• Contacting donors about changes in policy
Use and Disclosure of your Personal Information:
• We will not sell, share or trade your personal information with other entities without your permission.
• We may collect your name, email address, telephone number and payment information when
you make a contribution, either on our website, over the phone, at an event or by mailing in a check, or by other written or spoken forms of communication.
• To the extent any donations are processed through a third-party service provider, our donors’ information will only be used for purposes necessary to process the donation.
• We will use the personal information to protect against potential fraud. We may verify with third parties the information collected in the course of processing a gift.
• We may publicly recognize certain types and levels of donors by publishing names in our Annual Report, on our website and in other publications, unless a donor explicitly requests to remain anonymous. Donors may request that they not be included in such publications.
Security and enforcement