by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre, D-7th District, says the state will lose his seniority in Congress (and the tax dollars it brings) if he loses to Republican challenger David Rouzer.
• 10th Congressional District Republican candidate Mark Meadows says he’ll back a bill denying pay to members of Congress if they fail to pass a budget by the beginning of a new fiscal year.
• State Treasurer Janet Cowell is the focus of a New York Times story about a potential multistate lawsuit that would pit managers of public investment accounts (such as Cowell) against big banks in the Libor financial scandal.
• Carl Ford, the Republican nominee in state House District 76 (Rowan, Cabarrus), has won the open seat. Democrats will not field an opponent.
• Republicans are jumping on Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton’s observation that voters may not be as enthusiastic about President Obama this year as they were in 2008.