by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• Following a recount, former state Sen. Joe Sam Queen, D-Haywood, wins his primary by 17 votes. He’ll face Republican Mike Clampitt for House District 119.
• The Pat McCrory campaign committee says it will sue two Democratic groups over an ad they financed alleging ethics violations while McCrory was mayor of Charlotte.
• Veepstakes? Vice President Joe Biden will be in Charlotte for a re-election fundraiser today. Meantime, Florida U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, a potential GOP vice presidential choice, will be in Raleigh for a book signing July 6.
• Campaign memos from Democrat Patsy Keever after her primary win against Terry Bellamy suggest she may be a formidable challenger to 10th District Rep. Patrick McHenry.
• Sen. Ralph Hise, R-Mitchell, is one of five state senators named to the national Republican group GOPAC’s class of “emerging leaders.”