by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• Candidate debate. U.S. Rep. Larry Kissell, D-8th District, and his Republican challenger Scott Hudson, will face off today in a debate at Wingate University.
• Pulling back? Meantime, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has canceled a one-week ad buy in early October for Kissell.
• Dam spending. U.S. Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-5th District, and her Democratic rival Elizabeth Motsinger, are at odds over improvements funded by the federal stimulus at Kerr Scott Reservoir in Wilkes County.
• Survey says: A poll by a Republican consulting firm shows Republican Michael Speciale with a double-digit lead over Democrat Robert Cayton in the race for state House District 3.
• They like them! State House District 35 candidates Republican Chris Malone and Democrat Lori Millberg tout endorsements from a host of local elected officials.
• Ad wars. Buncombe County Republican Rep. Tim Moffitt and Democrat Jane Whilden, who lost her House District 116 seat two years ago to Moffitt, are battling each other on the airwaves. Whilden’s ads don’t mention that she served in the General Assembly.