by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• Last chance. Be sure to join Carolina Journal and John Locke Foundation staffers tonight as we liveblog the final debate between President Obama and Mitt Romney, right here at Locker Room.
• Soap opera. Recent revelations surrounding Wake County School Board members Debra Goldman and Chris Malone could shake up their races as Republicans for higher office: Goldman is running for state auditor and Malone for the state House.
• Legal troubles. Clarence Bender, the Democrat challenging incumbent Republican Sen. Buck Newton in District 11, was arrested last week on drug trafficking charges.
• Spending spree. Independent expenditure groups on both sides are again active in state legislative races.
• Wrong job? Incumbent Treasurer Janet Cowell, a Democrat, runs an ad touting education policy, which is not a prime responsibility of the treasurer’s office.