by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• Mark Walker, the Republican nominee for the open seat in the 6th U.S. Congressional District, says a comment he made at an event about going to war with Mexico was offered in jest. His Democratic opponent, Laura Fjeld, is having none of it. The video is below.
• Former Secretary of State (and probable 2016 presidential candidate) Hillary Clinton may be late to the party, but she says she will campaign for female Senate and gubernatorial candidates, including North Carolina incumbent Sen. Kay Hagan.
• Members of the Congressional Black Caucus plan to ramp up their get-out-the-vote efforts targeting black voters in North Carolina and other states with embattled Democratic candidates for federal office.
• 2nd District Democratic nominee Clay Aiken steps into the celebrity selfie waters, saying actress Jennifer Lawrence had it coming when nude photos she took of herself were hacked and posted online.
• Libertarian U.S. Senate nominee Sean Haugh entered into a heated Facebook discussion with a skeptic, using some impolitic language, and the exchange drew national attention.
• Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin will keynote the Burke County Democratic Party’s Senator Sam Ervin Memorial Dinner Saturday night in Morganton. Ervin’s grandson, Appeals Court Judge Jimmy Ervin, is running for a seat on the state Supreme Court. He may speak at the dinner.