by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• Be sure to check The Locker Room this evening around 9:30, when Barry Smith and I (with possible help from other Carolina Journal/John Locke Foundation staffers) will liveblog the main addresses at the Republican National Convention. We’ll be liveblogging RNC talks tonight and Thursday, and next week, Barry, Don Carrington, and I will be producing live reports from the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte. Check back to the Locker Room and Carolina Journal Online for updates and details.
• The N.C. Chamber endorses Republican Justice Paul Newby in the state Supreme Court race. The Chamber also listed its legislative endorsements — heavy on Republicans, but with a couple of Democrats who are in competitive districts.
• State House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, vows that a voter ID bill will become law if Republicans keep control of the General Assembly and Pat McCrory is elected governor.
• A Democratic super PAC focused on House races attacks Republican challenger David Rouzer (7th District) for supporting Rep. Paul Ryan’s proposed Medicare reforms.
• Meantime, the 7th District Democratic incumbent, Rep. Mike McIntyre, goes after Rouzer’s education spending votes in the General Assembly.