by Rick Henderson
Editor-in-Chief, Carolina Journal
• Here come da (unknown) judge. The latest survey by Democratic firm Public Policy Polling shows Pat McCrory with a safe lead for governor over Walter Dalton and Barbara Howe. Meantime, the race for a seat on the N.C. Supreme Court appears wide open, with Appeals Court Judge Jimmy Ervin holding an 8-point lead over incumbent Justice Paul Newby while 46 percent of voters are undecided.
• On the stump. Former Arkansas Gov. (and presidential candidate) Mike Huckabee will make a campaign stop for GOP lieutenant governor candidate Dan Forest Thursday at the Research Triangle Park.
• What’s on your iPod? The conservative Townhall.com website interviews 8th Congressional District Republican candidate Richard Hudson, asking primarily pop-culture questions.
• Give ’em scrip. Steve Royal, the Republican candidate for treasurer, says North Carolina and other states should band together and create a regional currency. Incumbent Treasurer Janet Cowell is not impressed.
• Get the popcorn. Obama campaign adviser and former press secretary Robert Gibbs (a NCSU alum) will debate Republican strategist and former George W. Bush adviser Karl Rove Oct. 22 at Duke University.